Blistered Corn & Mango Salsa
- 2 ears corn, husked
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped, soaked in cold water, and drained
- 1 mango, finely diced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 avocado, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- A pinch (or more) crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1–2 limes, juiced
- Preheat your outdoor grill until hot. Place the ears of corn and the poblano pepper on the grill. Turn the corn every two minutes or so and grill until some—but not all of the kernels—are toasted and brown.
- Remove, and when cool enough to touch, cut the kernels from the ears and place them in a bowl. Grill the poblano pepper until the skin has blackened. Remove the pepper from the grill and place in a plastic bag or a covered bowl. This will make it easier to remove the peel, which is what you want to do when the pepper is cool enough to touch. Once peeled, chop the pepper (dice small) and add it to the bowl with the corn kernels.
- Rinse the chopped onion in cool water and drain well. Add this to the bowl as well, along with the mango, avocado, cilantro, and crushed red pepper flakes. Season to taste with the lime juice and salt.
- Serve with tortilla chips or as an accompaniment to grilled seafood or chicken.
Recipe provided by Meredith Laurence.