Black Forest Burger
- Inspired by The Fat Cow in Baton Rouge, LA, this recipe will delight meatlovers & burger enthusiasts alike.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
Red Onion Marmalade:
- 1 cup red onion, small dice
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 (5-oz) burger patties
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 6 oz Black Forest ham, thinly sliced
- 8 slices brie cheese
- 4 leaves green lettuce
- 4 brioche buns, lightly grilled or toasted
- To prepare the marmalade, place all of the ingredients in a medium saucepot. Bring them to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer. Reduce the ingredients until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 20–25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To prepare the burgers and assemble, season and prepare the burgers by preferred method and degree of doneness. During the last 1–2 minutes of cooking, top each burger with 4–6 apple slices, then 3 slices of ham and 2 slices of brie. Depending on your cooking method, either place the burgers in the oven to melt the cheese or close your grill for 1–2 minutes.
- Place a lettuce leaf on the 4 bottom buns. Top the lettuce with a prepared burger. Spread about 1–2 Tbsp red onion marmalade on the top buns and serve.