Better Than Christmas Cake
- We originally named this recipe "Holiday Dessert Lasagna," but switched the title after an ITKWD taste-tester told us it was better than Christmas!
This recipe is prepared with the Temp-tations® Floral Lace 24-piece Oven-to-Table Set (K39348).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 (5.1-oz) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3-3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1 (15.25-oz) box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 (7-oz) package snickerdoodle cookies, roughly crushed
- Fit your stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Add the vanilla pudding mix, milk, rum, and nutmeg to the mixer bowl and mix until thick. Pour into a medium-size bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until completely cold.
- Place an oven rack on the second lower level and preheat to 350°F. Lightly grease and line 2 (10" x 15" x 1") cookie sheets with parchment paper, trimming any excess paper. Set aside. Make the cake according to the package directions and then pour the batter onto the prepared cookie sheets, evenly dividing the mixture between both sheets. Bake for 15–17 minutes. Cool the cakes on cooling racks. When completely cool, cut each chocolate cake into 3 3" strips lengthwise. (There will be a 1" strip left in each cake that will be used to fill any gaps. Try not to eat it!)
- Remove the pudding from the refrigerator, peel away the plastic wrap, and fold in the whipped topping. Spread 1/3 of the pudding mixture evenly onto the bottom of a 9" x 13" serving dish. Arrange a layer of chocolate cake on top, completely covering the pudding. Add another 1/3 of the pudding mixture, spreading evenly. Arrange another layer of chocolate cake and finally add the last 1/3 of the pudding.
- Top the cake with the crushed snickerdoodles. Crumble any remaining chocolate cake in your hands and sprinkle it on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours, or overnight.