Beef & Barley Soup
- This classic soup is a quick & delicious way to enjoy a homemade supper on a busy weeknight.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 (2.5 lbs) boneless short ribs
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, medium dice
- 2 celery stalks, sliced about 1/4" thick
- 2–3 medium carrots, sliced about 1/4" thick
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 5–6 black peppercorns
- 3–4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2-1/2 qt beef stock
- 1-1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Couple dashes fish sauce, optional
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Set a pressure cooker to the brown setting and add the oil. Working in batches, sear/brown the short ribs in large chunks on all sides. Remove and cut them down into 3/4" pieces.
- With the pressure cooker still on the brown setting, add the onion, celery, and carrots and sweat them for 4–5 minutes. Put in the garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute. Add the barley, beef stock, red wine vinegar, and fish sauce (if using). Place the lid on the pressure cooker and set for 45 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, quick release the pressure. Garnish the soup with fresh parsley and serve with crusty bread.