- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch dried crushed red pepper
- 2 (28-oz) cans crushed tomatoes OR 6 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2â1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Pour the olive oil into a deep sauté pan or Dutch oven. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and then heat the pan over medium heat. Cook gently until the garlic is fragrant, but do not brown, about 1 minute. Heating the oil and garlic with the pan (instead of pre-heating the pan) allows a more gentle garlic taste to flavor the oil.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 20–30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and sugar if desired (you may find it needs no sweetening). Stir in parsley or basil.
- Serve over pasta or in any number of dishes.
Recipe provided by Meredith Laurence.