Basic French Toast (Pain Perdu)
- 2 eggs
- 1–1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 8 to 10 thick slices of French or Italian bread (3/4-inch thick slices)
- Butter to grease the pan
- In a wide and shallow bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the milk, salt, sugar, and vanilla extract to the eggs and beat together until well combined.
- Preheat your outdoor BBQ grill and Technique® BBQ grill pan for at least 10 minutes. The grill is hot enough when you can only hold your hand one inch above the grill grates for 2 to 3 seconds before you have to pull it away.
- While the BBQ grill pan is heating up, soak the first batch of bread slices in the egg custard. The slices should soak in the egg custard for at least 20 to 30 seconds per side.
- Lower the heat to medium and brush some butter on the griddle side of the BBQ grill pan. Transfer the bread slices from the egg custard to the griddle side of the BBQ grill pan, and cook each side until it is golden brown — about 1 to 2 minutes per side. While each batch of bread is finishing, soak the next batch of bread in the egg custard, and repeat this step until all the bread has been cooked.
- This French toast is nice served with breakfast sausages, cooked on the grill side of the BBQ grill pan, and maple syrup. Serves 4.