Slow Cooker Autumn Spoon Cake
- Pumpkins and apples have all the fall fun…try something new with this moist, pudding-like cake. Fresh pears make it seasonal; ginger is the perfect complement.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pears peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup pear juice or nectar
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Lightly grease the inside of a 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, and salt in a medium-size bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and vanilla. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. (The batter should be really thick.) Add the chopped pears and mix until evenly incorporated. Spoon the batter into the slow cooker.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium-size saucepan set over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, stir constantly until the sugar dissolves, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Pour the hot liquid over the cake batter.
- Tightly secure paper towels or a cotton dishcloth over the mouth of the slow cooker. Place the lid on top. Turn the crock pot on low and cook for 3-1/2 hours, or until the cake is completely set in the center. Cool slightly before serving.