Americana Whoopie Pies
- A welcome addition to any celebration, these whoopie pies are festive, fun, and delicious!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1 (16.25-oz) box white cake mix
- 1 (3.4-oz) box instant vanilla pudding
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (16-oz) container white frosting
- Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil, and eggs in a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater and mix until smooth.
- Divide the batter in half in separate mixing bowls. Add 20 drops of red food coloring to one half and 20 drops of blue food coloring to the other half. Fill separate piping bags with each color of the batter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pipe 2" to 2-1/2" circles of batter about 2" apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets, starting with one color and then repeating the process with the other color. These will be the cakes for the whoopie pies.
- Bake batter rounds for 10 minutes and check with a toothpick for doneness. If needed, cook for an additional 2–4 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Once the cakes have cooled, fill a piping bag with the frosting.
- Flip the red cakes so they're flat-side up. Starting from the center, pipe the frosting in a circle, almost to the edge. Place a blue cake on top, flat-side down. Repeat until all the whoopie pies are made.