E249434 - Acer 10.1" Touchscreen 32GB WiFi Tablet with Keyboard Dock
I received my order in record time and am very pleased with the result! I have a desk top, laptop, netbook, smartphone and Kindle Fire. Each of those has it's own advantage - the beauty of this tabet is that it has taken most all of those advantages and put it in one great package! I have had no problem setting up the system and have found it easy to use. I haven't had any problem with the docking stand and found it VERY convenient. The weight isn't bad - used it for reading last night. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a Windows based unit.
This is the tablet that I have been looking for. This tablet has windows 7 and works great. I purchased the android tablets for my grandchildren but they were not for me. If you are looking for a tablet to do computer things on, this one is for you.
DEVPROCB Review of the W500
So I got the Acer w500 about a month ago, and wanted to give my self some time to write a Legitimate Review as opposed to some of the below comments that really have no technical knowledge on the products.
1. I would like to Cover something that appears are not disclosed on the site. There are 2 USB ports on the Bottom that you can plug any USB 2.0 hardware into ( Memory Cards so forth) and Battery life is actually accurately portrayed running Windows 7. Also it is bloated with bloatware you do not need.
2. The Software that comes with the acer product, bogs the system down, Uninstall the software, and if possible do a fresh install of window 7 with only the drivers that are needed to make everything function correctly. It is a Charm after that, has nothing to do with the Product itself, to many processes that run in the background when the computer starts up.
3. Heat - The product has great heat dissipation but is warm to the touch when utilizing Video or 3D graphics in the back center of the tablet. It is not annoying at all and in most cases stays super cool and quite. It will get hot if you cover the vent hole in the very top of the tablet.
4. Speed - Super Fast tablet, also I would like to address the comment below where the CPU is running at a 100% all the time. The tablet utilizes a new AMD Chip which incorporates the processor and the Video Chip on the same silicon, there is no separate video card, it is built into the processor. So when you are seeing the utilization of the cpu, it is because windows uses aero, and requires the Video card to display the 3D graphics on the server which in this machine is one in the same. So your cpu will always show active, but does not effect your actual cpu utilization.
5. Design - A little heavy compared to other tablets, but is expected since the it is an actual computer, but is still fairly light in hand. Not for long term use in a bed position. There is an accelerometer built in so detects position appropriately and rotates. The casing is super sleek and in the dark when watching video looks amazing on the led lit screen.
6. Graphics - It can play most video games at there lowest settings but is still capable, don't expect full 3D gaming graphics, but it looks 100 times better then any game you can get on an Ipad or Android tablet, as they are real legitimate games. Don't forget this is an actual PC!
7. Performance - Much faster then expected. Touch screen is as responsive as an IPad or Android tablet. It is a finger print magnet, but only shows when the screen is off or extremely dark. Good in sunny locations. When it comes to start up it actually loads up faster then a desktop due to the fact that there is a SOLID STATE HARD Drive included. For advanced users: you can pop open the casing and install your own SSD for more space, Obviously something QVC will not endorse. Does come with generous 32 GB of data, and when you setup home group there is no need to really store anything on the tablet itself.
Suggestions to get the most out of the Product:
1. Install Windows 8 Preview Edition ( Advanced Users Only ) Get about 10 hours of battery life with Wireless off, 7 hours with wireless on - You can view our review of windows 8 on our site if you would like. DEVPROCB . COM review of windows 8 on our site if you would like.
2. Screen Protector - This is a must on all tablets of course
3. Download Blue Stacks to run Android Apps Natively on the system
4. External USB Optical Drive ( DVD Drive )
Comparison to other Tablets:
So of course The tablet is not running android or the IOS Software from apple and the benefit to that is that you are not on a truly restricted software. Do you have a copy of Microsoft office you have that you would like to install, you can do it on this tablet. The major benefits of owning a full blown pc is there are no restrictions. So when it comes to a comparison there really is none. Yes android is a big thing only because because we as a society wanted to do things mobile from our pc's and the reason IPADS and Android became huge, but how many times have you wished you can just run anything with no restrictions. Have you tried loading flash on a "flash Enabled" android tablet, it is suppppper slow and almost non existent. Run Flash on this tablet as if you were on your home computer. No lag no slow downs full 1080P Video without an issue, visit your favorite sites in there full glory. If you go to any App store available, there are 10 to 15 apps that break up your favorite site into multiple apps, and then try to charge you for it, I honestly don't believe that is fair. Why pay for hardware that requires you to buy a new tablet every time a software upgrade comes out because that software is not compatible with the hardware it was made to run, Cough Cough Apple and Android cough cough. When it comes to a comparison there is none, and I hope you guys see that a tablet like the one above is well worth a mobile investment that actually allows you to do the things you want to do without paying for them, I mean you even have to pay for hulu when viewing them on the other tablets even though the full blown site is free! The tablet runs it because it is a true operating system! Bottom Line if you are looking for a tablet, get the above, or any Windows 7 Tablet. Much better investment over the long term.
Finally! A Tablet that Does Everything
I looked at the iPad and it doesn't run Flash. I bought a Android tablet. It ran Flash but didn't run Java. It also didn't do well with Skype. So far, this Acer's been able to do anything and everything I've tried. One thing I didn't like was having McAfee installed so I removed it and added MS Security Essentials. It's free and it doens't slow your machine down. Definitely glad I tried it. It's a keeper!
LOVE THIS TABLET!!
This Windows tablet is Awesome and is Exactly what I wanted. I tried a couple of the anroid tabs...just weren't for me. For me, this is the Best of both worlds. I'm Totally Happy with it's performance. I do Highly recommend getting a portfolio case and stylis pen. makes it PERFECT!!!!
Most Portable,Compatible Device of its Kind!
I'm astounded at the Quality of this Acer Device. To me, it's not "half tablet" and "half laptop," It's ALL TABLET & ALL LAPTOP! I expected this product to be just an OK quality as a tab, and likewise for it's laptop-like qualities, merely because it served as a dual purpose but I was mistaken. It's a top-notch tablet and notebook. I agree with the former reviewer that questioned the first reviewer's mention of "top-heaviness???" The reviewer must not be locking it in place(which is easy) because mine never comes disconnected or even tips over, for that matter??!! Advice to the reviewer: Read the 2-Step Instructions or make sure you aren't putting it in upside down. lol Very portable, and with wireless or either the bluetooth, chances are you can print out your documents/pics easily if you have a newer printer! Great Buy!!!
I like the tablet, especially how it works with the keyboard dock. To the person that said it tips over,it doesn't. If you follow the easy instructions, you set it and lock it. The only issue I findis that it has a wide bezel. Meaning, the picture covers more of the screen surface than the actual product. It is indeed a 10-inch viewable screen, but if they reduced the bezel it could easily be a 12-inch viewable screen.
I purchased this tablet thinking it would be the perfect accessory for my photography business. The tablet worked great however when you attach the tablet to the keyboard dock it instantly becomes very top heavy and will tip over. The tipping of the tablet causes the tablet to become disconnected from the keyboard. Very frustrating. This tablet just wasn't for me.