Zucchini-Cheddar Waffle with Bacon Butter
Serves 2–4 or Makes 2 Belgian-Style Waffles
- Spread the bacon butter over this savory waffle for a fresh take on a morning favorite.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups waffle mix
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 cup water
To prepare the bacon butter, add all of the butter ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until combined, then place in a serving dish. Serve at room temperature or make ahead, refrigerate, and use later.
To prepare the waffles, start by preheating the waffle maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the waffle mix, Italian seasoning, and baking powder. Fold in the cheddar and zucchini until coated. Add water and mix together.
Pour about 1-1/2 cups into the preheated waffle maker and cook until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve the waffles alongside the room-temperature bacon butter.