- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups champagne, sparkling white, or rosé wine
- Squeezable red gel color or gel paste (Baker's or Wilton)
- 1–1/2 cups chocolate chips + extra for topping
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3–1/2 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp half and half, milk, or cream
- Pinch of salt
- Squeezable gel color or gel paste (Baker's or Wilton) in Leaf Green Color
Fondant circle top:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9") cake pans.
- To prepare the cake, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat together the sugar and egg whites in another separate bowl. Beat in the flour mixture and the champagne, alternating, to the egg whites.
- Starting with 1/4 tsp, gradually add the gel color to the batter until you have the intensity of pink you want. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and gently stir in the chocolate chips. Divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake for 30–35 minutes. Let the cake cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting, cream together the butter and the confectioners' sugar, adding the sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add the half-and-half and salt. After combined, whip on high for 20–30 seconds.
- Starting with 1/4 tsp, gradually add the gel color until you have the intensity of green you want. Use the frosting at room temperature, or refrigerate until ready to use, allowing frosting to come to room temperature before using.
- To assemble the cake, frost the top of 1 cake round, and then place the second round on top. Frost the sides and top of the cake.
- To prepare the fondant circle top, form the fondant into a ball and roll it out flat. Cut into an 8" circle, using an 8" plate or cake pan as a template. Gently lift the circle with a large flat spatula and place it on top of the cake. Decorate the top of the cake with the leftover chocolate chips to look like seeds.
This recipe is prepared using the Anolon Advanced Bakeware 9" Round Cake Pan (K130562).