Warm Cinnamon Apple-Stuffed French Toast
- Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups sliced apples
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 Tbsp light cream cheese
- 4 (1-1/2'' thick) slices whole-grain bread
- 2 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- 12 oz medium-fine chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- Heat a nonstick griddle, or grill, over medium heat for one minute. Lightly spray the griddle with cooking spray. Grill each side of the apple slices for 30 seconds. Remove apples from heat. Add the cream cheese and stir until melted. Add 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Lay bread on a cutting board and make a 2'' incision into the side to form a pocket inside the bread. Be careful not to pierce the other side. Repeat for each bread slice. Spoon 2 Tbsp of the apple mixture into each pocket and set aside.
- Combine egg whites, whole egg, remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and vanilla extract; whisk together. Transfer egg mixture to a shallow 6'' wide plate.
- Take one stuffed French toast and lightly dip both sides into the egg mixture. Place on the griddle or grill and cook for 1-1/2 minutes. Flip and cook for another 1-1/2 minutes. While each piece is cooking on its first side, repeat the dipping process with the next one.
- Once the toast is golden brown, remove from heat. You can keep the toast warm in a low-temperature oven while making the rest. Serve with maple syrup. Top with toasted pecans and garnish with powdered sugar.