Turkey Chili with Chipotle & HoneyBell
- 1–1/3 lbs ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped chipotle pepper in adobo (add more if you like spicy chili)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seed, toasted in a skillet and ground
- 3/4 cup HoneyBell juice (divided)
- 3 tsp HoneyBell zest (divided)
- 1 28-oz can chopped tomatoes, in juice
- 2–1/2 tsp salt
- 2 15-oz cans of chickpeas, drained
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- In a 5-qt stockpot, brown the ground turkey over medium-high heat. Remove the cooked turkey to a bowl and reserve with the juices. Add the onion, celery, and carrot to the pot and cook for 5–7 minutes, or until the onion starts to turn translucent. Add the garlic and red, green, and yellow peppers to the pot and cook for another 4 minutes. Add the chipotle, chili powder, and toasted cumin seed to the pot and combine well.
- Cook for another 2 minutes. Return the cooked turkey to the pot, along with 1/2 cup of the HoneyBell juice and 1 tsp of zest. Stir in the tomatoes and salt, then let the chili simmer for one hour. Add the drained chickpeas and heat through. Just before serving, add the remaining HoneyBell zest and juice and stir well.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and grated cheese, if desired. Serves 6.