Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Sweet potatoes are a natural fit with cornbread, bringing just a touch of sweetness with the warmth and depth of fall. Wait till you try the Spiced Honey Butter!
This recipe is prepared with the KitchenAid 4.5-Quart 300-Watt Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Flex Edge (K41789).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups white cornmeal
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Spiced Honey Butter:
- 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 9" pan or a 10" round pan. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, pumpkin spice, and sugar in a large bowl. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated, but do not overbeat.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until light golden brown, about 40–45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the compound butter. Add the butter, honey, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to a small bowl. Whip with a hand mixer until creamy and smooth. Pour the mixture into an airtight container, cover, and refrigerate until needed. Serve with the warm bread.