Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows & Pecans
- I can't imagine Thanksgiving without this classic side. I add both marshmallows and a sweet oat-nut topping, which gives the dish a perfect crunch.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- Potato Filling:
- 6 lbs (about 12 medium-sized) sweet potatoes
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed and cold
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the potatoes in a baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake until you can smoothly insert a toothpick into each potato, about 1-1/2 hours. Remove the foil and let the potatoes cool for about 30 minutes.
- After the potatoes have cooled, remove the skins and place the flesh in a food processor. Add the butter, salt, pepper, heavy cream, and eggs. Process until smooth. Spread the mixture into a 9" x 13" casserole dish. Sprinkle marshmallows over the surface.
- For the topping, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Cut the butter into mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the marshmallows and sweet potatoes. Bake for 50–55 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.