Sweet Potato Bacon Hush Puppies
- Sweet potatoes always find a way onto my holiday table! These hush puppies are a tasty way to incorporate this veggie on yours.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 2 qt vegetable oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, cooked and puréed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked until not quite crispy and finely chopped
- .5 lb butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey
- To make the hush puppies, start by heating the vegetable oil to 365°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, chili powder, and cayenne.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, sweet potato, egg, and zest until smooth.
Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together. Fold in the onion and bacon.
Using a small ice cream scooper or a spoon about the size of 2 tsp, drop the batter into the oil, in batches. Cook 4–5 minutes or until the batter reaches a deep golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- To make the honey butter, fit a large stand mixer with the paddle attachment while the hush puppies are cooking. Place in the butter and whip until fluffy. Add the honey and mix until combined. Serve with the warm hush puppies.