Blue Jean Chef's Note:
- It's not often that a pork chop gets paired with a Cabernet Sauvignon, but the spice rub on this particular pork chop holds its own against the full-bodied flavor of the El Peral Cabernet Sauvignon. The fruity peach salsa matches the fruit aromas of the wine, and the mint gives a refreshing note on the whole
Sweet Chili Rubbed Pork Chops with Peach Salsa
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. paprika (not smoked paprika)
- 1 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 center-cut pork chops, at least 1-inch thick (preferably 1–1/2-inch thick)
- 2 peaches, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, minced and rinsed with cool water
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the spice rub. Combine the vegetable oil, brown sugar, paprika, dry mustard powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Rub this mixture on all sides of the pork chops, cover, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- While the pork chops are marinating, make the salsa. In order to peel the peaches, make a small cross in the skin at one end of the peach and blanch in boiling water for 60 to 90 seconds or until the skin starts to gently peel away. Remove the peaches and plunge them into cold ice water. Peel the skins from the peaches and then dice. Combine the peaches with the red onion, jalapeño, mint, lime juice, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat your outdoor BBQ grill or cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. The grill is hot enough when you can only hold your hand 1 inch above the grill grates for no more than 2–3 seconds before you have to pull it away. Place the pork chops on the hottest part of the grill for 2 minutes on each side. Then, move the chops to a cooler part of the grill and continue to cook for about 6 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 150°F. Remove the chops from the grill and let them rest for a minute or two before topping with the peach salsa and serving.