Stuffed Peppers with Sausage and Risotto
- 5 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 7 medium-large bell peppers (green, yellow, or a mix), stems, seeds, and white veins removed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place 4 cups of marinara in the bottom of a large baking dish; set aside.
- Trim the bottoms of the peppers so they stand evenly upright. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the sausage, onion, and garlic and crumble the sausage into small pieces. Sauté until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Add the rice, chicken stock, and the Italian seasoning. Bring the mixture to a simmer and continue to simmer, stirring often, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Do not let the rice stick.
- Add 1 cup of the marinara sauce and continue to cook for another minute. Remove the pan from the heat and add the Parmesan, mozzarella, butter, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley.
- Spoon the mixture into the bell peppers and place them in a baking dish with the marinara. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and continue to bake, uncovered, for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.