Slow Cooker Brisket with Caramelized Onions
- You can serve this right away or freeze & reheat depending on your plans. And the leftovers make for a delicious sandwich—heat up the meat, spread Horseradish sauce & enjoy!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 3–4 lbs beef brisket, first or flat cut
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 10 cups thinly sliced onions
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Additional salt and pepper for seasoning
- Season the brisket with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet with oil on medium-high heat and then add the brisket, browning on both sides. Place the browned brisket into a slow cooker.
- Put the sliced onions and garlic in a skillet and sauté on medium heat until onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes. In a bowl, stir together the tomato purée, stock, vinegar, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Add the mixture to the skillet.
- Pour the onion mixture over the brisket, and place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on high for 5–5-1/2 hours. Remove the brisket and thinly slice against the grain. Serve with the sauce.
To Make Ahead:
- Cook the brisket according to directions above, up until slicing it. Remove the brisket from the slow cooker and place in an oven-safe baking dish. Top the brisket with onions and sauce. Let cool completely. Once cool, wrap the baking dish tightly with foil and freeze.
To Reheat from Frozen:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place foil-wrapped baking dish in the oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove the brisket and slice against the grain.