Skillet Apples with Cranberries
- 6 large apples (Granny Smith or any cooking apple), peeled, cored, and thickly sliced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Whipped cream (optional garnish)
- Toss the apples with the lemon juice in a medium-size bowl to keep the slices from turning brown. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or skillet. Add apple slices and sauté over medium heat—stirring constantly—for about 6-10 minutes, or until tender and just beginning to change color.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir the mixture into the apples. Gently stir in brown sugar and spices. Add cranberries. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.