Savory Cheese Wafers
Makes 30 Crackers
- Jill's Note: This recipe comes from my Grandma Bauer, who always loved having a little something to "nibble." She taught me to make these when I was quite young...such a simple recipe! I added the touch of cayenne as I grew older...I really love the combo of the savory cracker, the sweet nuttiness of the pecan, and a dash of spice. These should keep for several days in an airtight container.
Try pairing this recipe with the Vintage Wine Estates (3) or (12) Bottle Holiday Wine Set (M47796).
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne
- 1/2 cup extra sharp shredded cheese, loosely packed
- 2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Combine all of the flour, salt, and cayenne in a food processor. Pulse together. Add the cheese, butter, cream, and pecans, and pulse until a dough just starts to form. Roll the dough into a log about 12" long. Seal it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Then, on a lightly floured surface, slice the unwrapped dough into 1/8" thick rounds. To decorate, use a fork to carve a crisscross pattern on the top. Bake on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes, or until crisp. Let the crackers cool completely before serving.