- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
Creamed Chipped Beef:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup small diced onion
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 6 oz dried beef, torn into small to medium-size pieces
- 1 tsp chopped thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- To prepare the waffles, preheat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and onion powder in a large bowl. Add the hash browns and toss to coat. Combine the milk, oil, butter, and eggs in another small bowl. Add the liquid ingredient to the dry ingredients and mix until they're fully combined. Fold in the cheese.
- Add just over 1 cup of the mixture to the waffle iron and cook according to the manufacturer's directions, or until golden brown. Serve the waffles immediately or hold them in a 200°F oven until you're ready to serve.
- To prepare the creamed chipped beef, melt the butter over medium heat in a medium-size saucepan. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the flour and stir until smooth, cooking for about 5 minutes. Add the milk and bring the mixture to a simmer while continuing to stir. Add the dried beef and cook until heated through. Serve the beef gravy over the waffles.
This recipe is prepared using the KitchenAid Set of 3 Non-Slip Mixing Bowls (K34993).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.