Pressure Cooker Smashed Potatoes
- This is a classic smashed potato recipe that's completely open for interpretation. Add roasted garlic, cheese, bacon, sour cream, or anything you like for a recipe all your own.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, evenly quartered
- 4 cups water
- 2–1/2 Tbsp salt, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or more, for creamier potatoes)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1–1/2 sticks butter
- 1/2 Tbsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped chives
- Place a steamer rack in the bottom of a 6-qt pressure cooker and place the potatoes on top. Pour in the water. (Adjust amount accordingly based on the size of your pressure cooker, so that half the potatoes are covered.) Sprinkle 1 Tbsp salt over the potatoes.
- Close the lid and cook on full pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release the pressure and check the potatoes with a fork for doneness. Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Put the cooked potatoes back into the pressure cooker, leaving out the steamer rack, and place on warm. Add the buttermilk, cream, butter, remaining salt, and pepper. Replace the lid and allow the liquid and butter to warm. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes and ingredients. Add in the chives. Make sure to mix well from the bottom.