Orzo, Feta, and Chickpea-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 3 medium zucchini, stems removed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing zucchini
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz orzo pasta, cooked, drained, and cooled
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 2 canned artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/3 cup canned sliced black olives, chopped
- 2/3 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1/3 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/3 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled and divided
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- To prepare the zucchini, cut each in half length-wise and scoop out the middle, leaving 1/4'' to 1/2'' of flesh inside the shell. Brush each zucchini boat with olive oil, salt, and pepper and then place each half skin-side down on a cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Combine the orzo, tomatoes, artichokes, black olives, chick peas, salt, pepper, vinegar, and Parmesan cheese in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Heat the 2 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a medium-size sauté pan. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the onion, pepper, celery, carrots, oregano, and basil and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Toss the ingredients in the bowl with the orzo mixture and then fold in 1-1/2 cups of the feta cheese.
- Pack the mixture into the zucchini boats. The filling should be mounded. Evenly top each boat with the remaining feta cheese and bake for 40 minutes, or until the zucchini is fork tender.