Mussels with Lemon, Garlic, Herbs & Butter
- 2 lbs. mussels
- 2 tsp. white wine or champagne vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 2 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your outdoor BBQ grill for at least 10 minutes. The grill is hot enough when you can only hold your hand one inch above the grill grates for 2 to 3 seconds before you have to pull it away. Place your Technique® BBQ basket on the grill for a couple of minutes to preheat.
- While the BBQ is preheating, clean the mussels by scrubbing them with a brush under running water. Pull off the beards (the whiskery hairs protruding from the shell). Discard any mussels that are broken or open and won't close their shells when tapped.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the mussels, still wet from washing, into the BBQ Basket and place the basket on the grill. Close the lid of the grill and cook the mussels for 4 minutes, or until most of the mussels have opened their shells. Do not toss the mussels during the cooking process — you'll want to save as many of the juices from the mussels as possible. Discard any mussels whose shells did not open or are cracked and broken.
- As soon as the mussels come off the grill, transfer them into a large bowl and toss with the lemon and butter mixture. Toss well and serve immediately. Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as an appetizer.