Mexican Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
- 1-1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 (1.25-oz) package taco seasoning mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (16-oz) can kidney beans, do not drain
- 1 (11-oz) can whole kernel corn with sweet peppers, drained (or 2 cups frozen corn with one diced roasted red pepper)
- 1 tube Pillsbury Grands Biscuits, or similar
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 Tbsp cilantro or parsley (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown the ground beef in an oven-safe deep skillet or sauté pan over high heat; drain. Add the onion and green pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the taco seasoning mix, 3/4 cup of water, the kidney beans (and the juice), and the corn. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top the mixture with 2-1/2 cups of the cheese. Remove the biscuits from the tube and place on top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the biscuits are tender. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and cilantro. Let stand for 5 minutes.