- 10-oz can pineapple chunks, drained and 1/4 cup juice reserved
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped into large chunks
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped into large chunks
- Start by making the sauce. Combine 1/2 cup juice from the can of pineapple with the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and soy sauce in a bowl.
- Place the chicken breast into a large zipper sealable plastic bag. Add the cornstarch, salt, and freshly ground black pepper and shake to coat all the chicken pieces. Heat a 10" skillet over medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon of the oil and sauté the chicken pieces just until brown, but not cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and sauté the bell peppers until they are starting to get soft, about 5 minutes. Add the pineapple chunks and the sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer for a couple of minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Season to taste with a little more brown sugar or soy sauce if desired and serve over rice.
Recipe provided by Meredith Laurence.