Mascarpone & Marmalade Stuffed French Toast
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1–1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 slices (3/4'') day-old brioche
- 16 tsp mascarpone
- 8 tsp orange marmalade
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Maple syrup, for serving
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, sugar, and salt.
- Lay the brioche slices flat on a clean work surface. Spread one side of each slice with 2 teaspoons of mascarpone. Spread 2 teaspoons of the marmalade over the mascarpone on half of the slices. Place the slices together to form 4 sandwiches.
- Working one at a time, dip the sandwich in the egg mixture, letting it sit about 1–1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter. When the butter has melted, add 2 of the sandwiches and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining butter and sandwiches.
- Cut the French toast ''sandwiches'' in half and serve hot, dusted with powdered sugar and drizzled with maple syrup, as desired. Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided by Emeril Lagasse, copyright Martha Stewart Omnimedia, Inc.