Mary's Baconflower Casserole
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/3 lb bacon, cut into small slices
- 1/3 cup gluten-free Bisquick
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup soy milk (you can use whole milk, too)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 oz Gruyere, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray or oil your favorite 9" x 13" pan and set aside.
- Boil the water (and a sprinkle of salt) in a large pot. Cut or break the stem off the cauliflower, slice it into 4 pieces, and then rinse thoroughly. Use your hands and break the head into florets and place them in the boiling water.
- Cook your bacon while cauliflower is boiling. After 8 minutes, remove the cauliflower, drain it, and set it aside on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Layer the cauliflower in the casserole dish. Break the cauliflower apart into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula and evenly cover the bottom of your baker. Then put the cooked bacon on top of the cauliflower.
- Pour the Bisquick into a mixing bowl. Whisk in each egg until you have a smooth liquid. Now stir in the cream and milk. Stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper, and 2/3 of the grated cheese. Pour the mixture over the cauliflower and bacon. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.