Marinated Flank Steak with Red Wine Mushrooms
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, rough chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Lots of coarsely ground black pepper
- 1–1/2 to 2 lb. flank steak
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. butter
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine the red wine, garlic, onion, rosemary, thyme, and black pepper in a shallow casserole or zipper-sealable plastic bag. Score the flank steak lightly with a knife across both surfaces. Add the flank steak to the marinade and refrigerate for 4 hours. Remove the steak from the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat your outdoor BBQ grill and Technique® BBQ grill pan for at least 10 minutes. The grill is hot enough when you can only hold your hand one inch above the grill grates for 2 to 3 seconds before you have to pull it away.
- Remove the flank steak from the marinade and place on the grill side of the BBQ grill pan. Season with salt. Grill to your desired degree of doneness (flank steak is best served at medium-rare or medium for tender results — about 4 minutes per side). Remove the steak from the grill and set aside to rest and cover with aluminum foil on a cutting board.
- While the steak is resting, add a little oil to the griddle side of the BBQ grill pan. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the mushrooms until tender — about 4 to 5 minutes. Pour some of the steak marinade over the mushrooms and continue to cook until the marinade is absorbed by the mushrooms and almost disappears. Add the butter and stir in until it melts. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Slice the steak against the grain into strips. Top with the mushrooms and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serves 6.