- 1 box white cake mix
- Gel food coloring in the colors of purple, yellow/gold, and green
- Colored sugars and/or sprinkles
- Fondant (optional)
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 2 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Prepare the cake mix as directed. Divide the cake mix evenly into four smaller bowls. Keep one bowl white. Squeeze one drop of purple food coloring into the second bowl; one drop of yellow into the third bowl; and one drop of green into the last bowl.
- Pour the white cake mix into baking pan. Then, then drop each additional colored batter into the pan. Bake the cake as directed. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the icing, combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat with a stand or hand mixer until fluffy.
- After the cake is completely cool, frost it, and then decorate it with the colored sugars and sprinkles. If desired, roll out the Fondant and use Mardi Gras-themed cookie cutters to make festive shapes.
This recipe was prepared with the KitchenAid 5-Quart 325-Watt Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Flex Edge (K41660).