- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 egg, yolk and white separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter
- Butter or oil for greasing the pan
- Mix all the dry ingredients, including cooked bacon pieces together in a large bowl. Combine the egg yolk, milk, lemon juice, maple syrup, and oil or butter, and whisk together in a separate bowl or glass measure. In a third bowl, beat the egg white until fluffy and soft peaks form.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until the two are just combined. Fold in the egg white until you can't see streaks of white anymore, but be careful not to overmix the batter.
- Preheat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add a little oil or butter and lightly coat the surface of the pan. When the butter no longer sizzles, and a droplet of water splashed into the pan does sizzle, it is ready to make the pancakes.
- Pour batter in the pan, making pancakes of whatever size you wish. Do not disturb the pancakes until you see many little bubbles on the uncooked surface of the batter, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook the other side until equally browned. Remove and repeat for next batch.
Recipe provided by Meredith Laurence.