Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
- Try subbing the Monterey cheese with pepper jack variety for a little extra kick.
- 6 russet potatoes, unpeeled & sliced on thickest setting
- 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced very thin & rings separated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monterey cheese, shredded
- 1 lb pre-cooked ham steak, diced
- 1 red pepper, halved, seeded & diced
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cornflake cereal, slightly crushed
- 1/2-stick butter, melted
- Parsley (optional), fresh chopped or dried
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x13" pan or two 9x9" casserole dishes. Set aside.
- Layer half of the potato slices in the dish, overlapping slightly. Scatter on 1/2 of onion rings and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of each of the cheeses, then ham, then red pepper on top of the potato/onion layer. Add the other half of the potato and onion slices.
- In a small bowl mix together the milk, sour cream, and eggs. Pour the mixture over top of the potatoes. Sprinkle on the remaining 1/4 cup of each of the cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake for 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with cornflakes, pour on melted butter, and sprinkle parsley on top.
- Return to oven for another 30 minutes or until the custard is cooked and set. Rest the dish for 15–20 minutes before serving.
- Recipe provided by Laura Weathers.