Homemade Sausage Monte Cristo
- Set your alarm a little later—these sandwiches let you sleep in and feed overnight guests a homemade breakfast. How? By making ahead of time!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/4 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 8 slices challah bread, 1/2" thick
- 1/3 cup whole grain mustard
- 16 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 4 patties of homemade sausage (above)
- 8 thin slices deli ham
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 Tbsp butter
- To make the sausage patties, mix the pork, marjoram, sage, thyme, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Form into 4 thin oblong patties, 6–7" long.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Sauté the patties until they are browned on both sides and internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 5 minutes on each side.
- To prepare the sandwich, start by preheating the oven to 350°F. Spread mustard on each slice of the challah. With the mustard side up, put 2 slices of Swiss cheese on 4 of the challah slices. Put the sausage patties on top of the Swiss cheese, followed by 2 slices of ham. Top with remaining cheese. Place the 4 other bread slices, mustard side down, on top of the cheese layer.
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a bowl.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Melt the butter. Dip both sides of the prepared sandwich in the egg batter and place into the skillet. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. Sauté until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
To Make Ahead:
- Make sandwiches according to directions above, up until baking them in oven. Cool completely, then wrap tightly in foil and freeze.
To Reheat from Frozen:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the foil-wrapped sandwich directly on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 1 hour.
To Reheat from Defrosted:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the foil-wrapped sandwich directly on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 45 minutes.