Grilled Vidalia Onion & Bacon Salad
- 2 large Vidalia onions, sliced 1/4'' thick and separated into rings
- 3 Tbsp melted butter, olive oil, or a combination of both
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 slices bacon
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced thickly
- Bag of baby spring mix, or an assortment of your favorite greens
- 2/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts (optional garnish)
Classic Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp scallions, chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- Beat the vinegar in a small bowl with the sugar, scallions, soy sauce, and pepper until the sugar dissolves. Slowly, in a steady stream, whisk the canola oil to the vinegar mixture. Set aside.
- Preheat a barbecue or indoor grill to high.
- To prepare the salad, first grill the onions. Place the onion slices on a grill pan (if using a barbecue grill). Brush with oil and/or butter and season with salt and pepper. Cook the onions for approximately 10 minutes. Turn the slices and continue grilling for 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the bacon strips on the grill pan (if using) and cook until brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Place a handful of baby greens on a salad plate. Top with the tomatoes, grilled onion rings, and strips of bacon. Add the crumbled Gorgonzola cheese last, and drizzle with the balsamic vinaigrette. Top with toasted walnuts, if desired.