Grilled Vegetable Mac 'n' Cheese
- 3 cups grated Swiss cheese (preferably Gruyere)
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion, (finely chopped)
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. dried mustard powder
- 4 cups milk, room temperature
- 2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 zucchini, sliced 3/4-inch thick lengthwise
- 1 yellow squash, sliced 3/4-inch thick lengthwise
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (preferably coarse, homemade crumbs)
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, rough chopped
- 1 Tbsp. rough chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat a stovetop grill pan or outdoor BBQ grill over medium-high heat. Oil the zucchini, yellow squash, and red onion slices and grill in batches until soft and well marked. Toss the cherry tomatoes in a little oil and toss around in the grill pan for 2 – 3 minutes. Set aside a few long slices of zucchini and yellow squash to garnish the top of the casserole. Chop all the remaining squash and red onion into smaller chunks. Leave the cherry tomatoes whole.
- Heat a large pot of water to a boil and, once boiling, add the pasta. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and set aside. In the meantime, heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the butter and melt. Cook the onion in the butter until translucent and tender, but not browned. Add the flour and mustard powder and stir, cooking for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Stirring regularly, bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Add the grated cheeses, salt and pepper and stir. In a large mixing bowl, combine the grilled vegetables, cooked pasta and cheese sauce. Fold everything together gently and transfer to a large everyday pan, casserole, or baking dish.
- Combine the topping ingredients and spread the mixture on top of the casserole. Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes. When the casserole has warmed through, browned on top, and is bubbling, remove from the oven and garnish the top with a few twisted slices of zucchini and yellow squash. Serves 6 – 8.