Grilled Chicken Breast with Pico de Gallo
- Pico de gallo is a fresh salsa and complements this chicken beautifully. You can also use it to top steaks, tacos, quesadillas, or nachos, so keep the recipe handy!
This recipe is prepared with the Cook's Essentials® 7-Piece BBQ Grill Pan with Removable Plates (K42351).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
Pico de Gallo:
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1-1/2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 (5–6 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- To prepare the pico de gallo, toss all the ingredients in a medium-size bowl until evenly combined. Place into an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- To prepare the chicken, place the breasts between 2 pieces of wax paper. Use a meat mallet to pound them to a 3/4" thickness.
- Place all the ingredients into a large zip-tight bag. Gently toss so the marinade evenly coats the chicken. Place in a bowl in the refrigerator and marinate at least 8 hours, or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the grill to high. Place the chicken breasts onto the hot grill and cook for 4–5 minutes until char marks appear. Flip the chicken and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the chicken reads 165°F, about 4–5 more minutes. Top each chicken breast with pico de gallo before serving.