Fried Onion Rings
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup Emeril's Original Essence, divided
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and cut into 1/8" thick rings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk with the hot sauce and 2 tsp of Emeril's Original Essence. Add the onion rings and press to coat. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat an air fryer to 360°F.
- In a shallow bowl or large dish, combine the flour with 2 Tbsp of Emeril's Original Essence. Dredge the onions in the seasoned flour, coating each ring evenly. Shake off any excess flour and carefully place the rings in the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown, turning to cook evenly and prevent sticking, about 3 minutes per batch. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Season the fried onion rings with Emeril's Original Essence, and repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve hot.
Recipe provided by Emeril Lagasse.