David's Old-fashioned Savory Sausage Stuffing
- 1 lb pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large day-old loaf of Italian bread, cubed (equal to 7-8 cups bread cubes)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup roasted chestnuts, pre-peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1 (14-oz) can chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 2-qt casserole dish.
- Cook and crumble the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until brown. Set the sausage aside in a large bowl and drain the grease from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter. Stir in the chopped onion, celery, and carrot and sauté over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the mushrooms, herbs, salt, and pepper. Cover and sauté for 3-4 minutes more.
- Add the bread and stir in the cooked sausage and Parmesan. Add the chopped chestnuts, if using. Gently toss the mixture and add the chicken broth, 1/4 cup or less at a time, until the bread seems moist, but not soggy.
- Spoon the stuffing into the prepared baking dish, cover, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes, or until crusted over.