Corn & Bacon Pudding
- I love bacon, especially in this delicious side dish! Enjoy a comfort food recipe that can feed a crowd during the holidays.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, small dice
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8.5-oz) pkg cornbread mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 (14.75-oz) can creamed corn
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a medium sauté pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel, reserving the bacon fat.
While the bacon is cooking, whip the egg whites in a stand mixer with a wire whip. Place the whipped egg whites into a small bowl and set aside.
Add the reserved bacon fat, butter, and sugar to the bowl of the stand mixer. With a paddle attachment, cream until the mixture is light and fluffy. Put in the egg yolks and sour cream, then mix again. Stir in a little bit of the cornbread mix, followed by a little bit of the buttermilk. Continue alternating and stirring until all of the cornbread and buttermilk has been used.
Fold the corn, creamed corn, basil, and cheese into the mixture. Then fold in the reserved eggs whites.
Pour the mixture into a 2.5-qt greased baking dish. Bake about 1.5 hours or until set and lightly browned.