Coffee-Caramel Lava Cake
- Coffee and caramel inside of a lava cake? Now that's something to impress your guests! Make this decadent dessert ahead to avoid any last-minute rush.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/2 Tbsp instant espresso powder (or instant coffee)
- 8 oz butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 soft caramels
- Raspberries (optional, for serving)
- Ice cream (optional, for serving)
- In a sauce pot, heat water until it simmers. Place the chocolate into a bowl or double boiler and rest on top of the pot. Melt chocolate and stir in the espresso powder.
- In a stand mixer with the beater attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed. Beat in the eggs and then the yolks. Add the flour and salt. Reduce to low speed, mixing in the chocolate mixture.
- Spray 4 (6-oz) ramekins with nonstick spray and fill halfway with the batter. Slightly flatten all of the caramels. Place 2-1/2 caramels in the center of each ramekin, and cover with the remaining batter, until 2/3 of the way full.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 450°F. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 17–20 minutes, or until just a slight jiggle remains in the center.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 2 minutes. Run a small knife around the cake to free it from ramekin. Carefully turn over onto a small plate. Garnish with fresh raspberries and ice cream, or however you desire.
To Make Ahead:
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 or 5 days, or freeze until ready to use.
To Bake from Frozen:
- Let the cakes thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Bake according to directions above.