Christmas Tree Cupcakes
Makes 16-18 Cupcakes
- Nothing shouts "holiday" quite like Christmas trees…and cupcakes. So why not combine them? Get the whole family to help decorate these distinct cupcakes and make it a season to remember!
This recipe is prepared with the KitchenAid Set of 3 Non-Slip Mixing Bowls (K34993).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1 (16.5-oz) box red velvet cake mix
- 1-1/2 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 lb confectioners' sugar
- Green gel food coloring
- You will also need:
- Red or Christmas-themed cupcake liners
- Small, edible round sprinkles (to make ornaments)
- Small star candies or gold edible ball (to make the tree-topper)
- Additional confectioners' sugar, for decorating
- To make the cupcakes, prepare the cake mix according to the package directions. Line 2 cupcake pans with liners and fill each cup 3/4 full with cake mix. Follow the box directions for the baking time and temperature. Let the cupcakes cool.
- To prepare the frosting, add the butter, milk, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. On medium speed, mix until smooth. Add food coloring until you have a rich tree-like color.
- To decorate, place the frosting in a pastry bag that has a large star piping tip. Pipe the frosting in a circular motion, starting around the edge of the cupcake and working in. (Pretend you're making a soft-serve ice cream cone.) Add the "ornaments" and then top each tree with a "gold star." For a snow effect, place additional confectioners' sugar in a small sifter, tea strainer, or sugar shaker, and dust the trees.