Chocolate-Pumpkin Marble Cake
- You could decorate your Thanksgiving table with this beautiful cake—and only you would know it's made with a box mix!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp chocolate syrup
- 1 container chocolate frosting
- 1 container orange frosting (or vanilla, dyed with orange food coloring)
- 1 bar semisweet chocolate, cut into shavings
- Preheat the oven to 325°F or as directed in the cake mix instructions. Grease a fluted-tube cake pan with vegetable shortening.
- Add the cake mix, pumpkin purée, water, oil, eggs, and 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Place 1 cup of the batter into a separate bowl and whisk in the cocoa powder and chocolate syrup. Pour half of the remaining pumpkin batter into the prepared fluted-tube cake pan. Smooth the surface. Then, drop spoonfuls of the chocolate batter onto the pumpkin batter. Pour the remaining pumpkin batter on top and smooth.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and cool until it's possible to invert onto a wire rack. Remove any raised portions from the bottom with a knife to make sure the cake sits flat.
- When the cake is completely cool, heat the chocolate frosting in a microwave-safe bowl for about 15–20 seconds, or until just pourable. Spoon the icing over the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Mix the remaining pumpkin pie spice with the orange frosting and repeat the process. Sprinkle chocolate shavings on top of the cake.