Chocolate Pot de Créme with Cherry Whip
- 4 oz good-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp sugar, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup cherry jam or preserves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the chocolate into a heat-proof bowl. Whisk 1-1/2 cups of the cream with 1/4 cup of the sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat. Pour the mixture over the chocolate and whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl, adding a small amount of the warm chocolate mixture to temper the yolks. Then, whisk all of the yolk mixture into the chocolate until fully incorporated. Transfer the mixture to a liquid measuring cup for easy pouring.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil, then remove from heat. Place 4 (6-oz) ramekins into a high-sided baking dish. Evenly fill the ramekins with the chocolate mixture. Carefully fill the pan with the hot water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins and transfer the pan to the oven. (The water bath ensures even banking and a creamy texture.) Bake until the custards are set, about 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the custards to a cooling rack. Once the custards have reached room temperature, refrigerate them for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to serve, whisk the cherry jam in a small bowl until loosened and thin. In another bowl, with a clean whisk, whip the remaining 1/2 cup cream and 1 teaspoon sugar until firm peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cherry jam until just combined and streaky. Serve the desserts chilled and topped with a dollop of cherry whipped cream.