Chicken, Spinach & Artichoke Casserole
- In reconfiguring the crowd-favorite dip as a hearty casserole, we may have outdone ourselves! Make and serve this delicious dish on the same day or freeze for later.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 cup onions, medium diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3-1/2 Tbsp flour
- 2 (12-oz) cans evaporated milk
- 3 cups smoked Gouda, rind removed and shredded
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb dried penne, cooked according to package directions
- 2 (10-oz) boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 2 (14-oz) cans artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 2 cups cooked chicken, large diced
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Sauté the onions and garlic until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Incorporate the flour, cooking for a minute, then pour in the milk. Stir until thickened and just about to simmer. Add Gouda and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, red pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, place the cooked pasta, spinach, artichokes, and chicken. Toss together. Add the prepared cheese sauce and toss to coat. Transfer the mixture into a deep 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter and toss with the remaining Parmesan and panko breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Cover the casserole dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
To Make Ahead:
- Make the casserole according to directions above, up until covering with foil (do not bake). Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze.
To Cook from Frozen:
- Defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours (casserole will still be partially frozen). Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the plastic wrap and cover the casserole dish with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.