Cheesy Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
- When I think of fall sides, I think scalloped potatoes. We've made this classic recipe even heartier with the addition of sharp cheddar. Try them with my Slow Cooker Beer-Braised Pork Chops!
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup small diced onion
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 russet potatoes (about 4 lbs), peeled and thinly sliced
- In a medium-size saucepan set over medium heat, sauté the onions and thyme in the butter until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1–2 minutes. Add the cream and stock and stir until the sauce has thickened and is just about to simmer. Add 3 cups of the cheese and stir until melted. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the salt and pepper.
- Put the potatoes into a large bowl and pour the cheese sauce over them. Toss until the potatoes are well coated and then layer them in the slow cooker. Pour any remaining sauce over the potatoes. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 5 hours.
- When finished, top the potatoes with the remaining cheese. Place the lid back on the slow cooker and melt the cheese on the warm setting. Let the potatoes rest for 15 minutes before serving.