Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Cheesy scalloped potatoes is a dish that everyone loves, and it goes so well with many different cuts of meat. The layer of Parmesan cheese on top gives a nice salty layer of flavor in my version of this classic side. Be sure all your potato slices are the same size, ensuring they cook at the same rate!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 4 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, skin on & sliced 1/8'' thick
- 1-1/2 cups white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in large Dutch oven. Add in the onion and sauté until golden brown. Sprinkle the onion with the flour and stir until combined. Add the milk, cream, nutmeg, salt, pepper, Cheddar, and Fontina and stir until the cheeses are melted. Add the potatoes and simmer for 15-20 minutes over low heat.
- Pour the potato mixture into a 9'' x 13'' baking dish. Top with the 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, until thick, bubbly, and golden brown.
- Garnish with the sprigs of fresh thyme.
This item is prepared with the Temp-tations® Tara's Garden 9'' X 13'' Baker with Lid-It & Wire Rack (K37853).