Cheesy Cheeseburger Casserole
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp salt
- 1 (16-oz) package elbow macaroni
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (8-oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp salt and the macaroni and cook the pasta until tender, but still firm to the bite, 7-8 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and onion and cook, stirring, until the beef is well browned. Carefully drain the fat from the skillet and stir in the tomato sauce, the remaining 1 tsp salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer over low heat while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Combine the ricotta, sour cream, bell pepper, and scallions in a medium bowl. Spread half of the pasta in the bottom of a 9'' x 13'' baking dish. Top with the ricotta mixture and the remaining pasta. Pour the meat mixture over the top. Sprinkle with the cheddar and mozzarella. Bake the casserole until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley before serving, if desired.