- 4 large McIntosh or Honey Crisp apples
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Caramel sauce, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease an 8'' x 8'' baking dish, and set aside.
- Remove the apple cores, cutting to within 1/2'' of the bottom. Using a melon baller, scoop out a 1-1/2'' wide well in the apple, around the core to create room for the stuffing. Sprinkle each of the apples with 1/2 tsp of the lemon juice.
- Mix the brown sugar, rolled oats, nutmeg, and the cinnamon in a medium-size bowl until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated. Add in the melted butter, chopped pecans, and the golden raisins and mix until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 4 apples, stuffing them completely. Place the apples into the prepared dish and bake, on the bottom rack of the oven, for 30–40 minutes. To test for doneness, carefully poke the apple with a paring knife—the apple should be soft and the knife should break through easily. Drizzle with the caramel sauce before serving.
Recipe provided by David Venable. See more recipes.