Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Onions & Pancetta
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz pancetta, diced
- 3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1–1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. When hot, add the pancetta and cook until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a baking sheet lined with paper towels and set aside. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper to the pan and cook, stirring until the onions are caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- In a large 14-inch sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the Brussels sprouts and remaining salt and pepper. Cook until the sprouts are golden brown on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the onions and pancetta to the Brussels sprouts, toss well, and return to the oven for 5 minutes longer. Serve immediately. Makes 4–6 servings.